About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, sister, auntie, niece and mother. i am a woman. i am honest, loving and loyal but don't cross me. with that being said, i'm also a self acclaimed comedian. i'm a people person and a people watcher. i'm simply niah.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Run The World!!!


Beyonce's new hit single "Run the world" is a nice little anthem, however, it is also a great song to listen to while i'm working out. It gives me that extra umph i need to keep going. Maybe its just the beat, some of the lyrics or the fast tempo, whatever it is, it works! Not to mention, watching the video clearly shows that homegirl is working out and running to get those fabulous legs!!

So no, this blog is not necessarily about her song, but moreso about the word "Run". Back in my younger years, i used to run my butt off. Jogging, especially outdoors, was my thing. But over time, my knees decided they didnt want be nice to me anymore. Technically, i was mean to them first by running on asphalt vs. rubber or sand. Yup, cement is bad for the knees. it has something to do with how hard the joints bang together when you step down with force on the hard pavement over and over again.

Since i've been trying to make the gym a regular thing for pumping weight and getting my cardio on, i noticed that i'm only doing 15 minutes of cardio and the other 45 minutes are geared towards weight training to enduce muscle mass. However, when doing my few minutes of cardio to get my heart pumping and my body warm before my workout, i'm literally out of breath within the first 5 minutes. WTH?!?! I figured something has to give. I need to build up more stamina. And especially since i'm trying to lose a little bit of weight (fat) and gain muscle mass.

After much research, i found out that jump roping is THE BEST way to lose weight. It's even more intense than running. You can burn double the calories jumping rope than jogging and in less time. Little did i realize when i purchased the jump rope was that it wasnt going to be as much fun as it was when i was a kid.

Remember way back when, when you could do like 100 jumps when jumping rope or double dutching before getting winded?!? yeah, well, not anymore. I did 15 and damn near past out! Lol!

So for now, i will stick to running until i build up enough stamina to jump rope again. And to reduce the chances of injuring my knees, i will be running on the grass vs. the sidewalk. The spring from the dirt is way better than the cement. Running in the gym just doesnt do it for me. I'm too focused on the time displayed on the machine and how many calories i'm burning or how far i've run. All i need is nature, my running shoes and my ipod. Time to update my music! Maybe some more up beat Beyonce' joints! :-)

SincerelyNiah

No comments:

Post a Comment