About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, sister, auntie, niece and mother. i am a woman. i am honest, loving and loyal but don't cross me. with that being said, i'm also a self acclaimed comedian. i'm a people person and a people watcher. i'm simply niah.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mind traveling...

I seriously need a vacation. I haven't seen blue water or white sand beaches in years. This is literally taking a toll on me. I'm used to taking a big trip at least once a year and i haven't done so since 2009 when i traveled to Africa. Speaking of Africa, i'm sitting here at my desk at work and for the life of me, i couldnt remember the name of the resort i stayed at until just now. Zamani Kempinski Resort in Zanzibar, Tanzania. Oh how i miss that place! For so long,it has been like a dream, but i'm sitting here remembering how real it was. The things i saw and the things i did while i was there seemed to be something only people would dream of. It was more than just staying at a resort. it was connecting with the children there, the masai people, touching historical statues and stepping on grounds our ancestors once died. I even went inside a tomb where slaves where kept and chained throughout the day while their masters where away for weeks at a time. It goes beyond words or imagination of what i felt those two weeks. My hands grasped chains and cuffs that someone was once held captive in. I touched a stone where women and children were be-headed inside of an ancient church because they couldnt work and were no use to masters who captured them. I heard the sounds of a muslim prayer that was heard around the entire city 5 times a day. i made friends and family in this far off land on the other side of the earth. i was given a new last name Mhunzi. All of these things meant the world of me. I dreamed of this day for years and years growing up as a child. I've always had a huge heart for Africa as i think back to the poster i made of Africa that said, "Save Africa" and taped to the back of my bedroom door.
I'm realizing that that was a trip that may not ever happen again and that it truly was a time that should never be taken for granted. I will do all i can to get back to that place once again. Until then, i will mind travel and remember how amazing it really was.

Images of where i stayed my last week in Zanzibar, Tanzania, the places i visited, the people i saw...

The view from the second floor looking out by the pool and outside dining area.

My bedroom

My bathroom. Behind the frosted glass doors was an outside shower. Can we say HEAVEN!

The view from outside of my bedroom.

The board walk from the hotel sitting above the Indian Ocean. A nice bar to have drinks and chill.
The path i ran every morning along side of the Indian Ocean.

Approaching Stown Town, Zanzibar from a Ferry ride coming from Dar es Salaam

Women of Zanzibar City walking to collect water and food.

The famous Stown Town Market where whatever is caught that day, is cooked right outside. Fresh! I had a pizza, but not your average pizza at all. Some made of chocalate and others, different types of seafood.

The people of Zanzibar sitting outside their local shop selling fruits and merchandise they made by hand.

A statue displaying how slaves were kept near a church in Zanzibar. It brought me to tears, it was so realistic.

Ruins in the town of Bagamoyo.

A historical church in Bagamoyo

The Masai people.
Me with a few children in the small town of Bagamoyo, Tanzania.

Me with my new friends and family in Tanzania.

No comments:

Post a Comment