About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, sister, auntie, niece and mother. i am a woman. i am honest, loving and loyal but don't cross me. with that being said, i'm also a self acclaimed comedian. i'm a people person and a people watcher. i'm simply niah.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Powerful Song, Powerful SiStars!

I know i am super late, but i just recently had the opportunity to see the 5th Annual Black Girls Rock Awards, which was hosted by my girl, Nia Long. It was originally aired on BET late fall of 2010.

I must say, this is the best awards show that i have seen in a very long time. It was not your average awards show. This show was powerful and had so much meaning. Empowering and honoring women of color for every generation and different genres. From Missy Elliott, to KeKe Palmer and Major General Marcelite J. Harris, amongst the many. Listening to the words of wisdom from Ilyana Vanzant and Ruby Dee, gave me chills all through my body. "The word 'Legendary' beginning with the word Leg. We are the Legs. If given the opportunity, we are the legs that will hold up the next generation." we're the words from Ruby Dee. "Black girls rock because we have to. So that our grandmothers know they didnt die for no reason, we will rock." Were the powerful words of Ilyana Vanzant.

The hightlight of the night for me was the Nina Simone “four women” song by Kelly price, Marsha ambrosius, Jill scott and Ledisi, which all happen to be my favorites. A song with poignant words that pierce the skin of black women with many shades, Nina’s song was an analysis of the status of women during her time (nina was born in 1933 and died in 2003)and to me, a song that is still clearly relevant today. It reaffirms our struggle against the idea that black women are anti-woman, anti-feminine, our exploitation and objectivity and fierce defiance at times.

Til this day, Nina is able to paint the pain of heartache through her songs often always saving the most dramatic stroke for the climax as she did with the last version of "Four Women" that depicts a woman by the name of Peaches who has been done so wrong in her life. On the surface, which is the wrong way to listen to such a song, you just see someone named “Peaches”, an “angry black woman”, but look deeper and you’ll see the meaning behind such a genius verse.




my skin is black
my arms are long
my hair is woolly
my back is strong
strong enough to take the pain
inflicted again and again
what do they call me
my name is AUNT SARAH
my name is Aunt Sarah

my skin is yellow
my hair is long
between two worlds
i do belong
my father was rich and white
he forced my mother late one night
what do they call me
my name is SAFFRONIA
my name is Saffronia

my skin is tan
my hair is fine
my hips invite you
my mouth like wine
whose little girl am I?
anyone who has money to buy
what do they call me
my name is SWEET THING
my name is Sweet Thing

my skin is brown
my manner is tough
i’ll kill the first mother I see
my life has been too rough
i’m awfully bitter these days
because my parents were slaves
what do they call me
my name is PEACHES

1 comment:

  1. heck yeah, you're late ;-)
    i posted a link to the video of 4 women on my blog before it got a 'blog-lift' after being inspired by your colorful blog (lol).

    check out more on ms. beverly bond, the creator of the show & concept [black girls rock] here: http://www.blackenterprise.com/2010/11/05/beverly-bond-shows-the-world-that-black-girls-rock/

    cheers,
    SKY UMA (aka - Milster)

    ReplyDelete